Whether it’s browsing various specialty shops, visiting unique museums and nature centers, or trying out a sumptuous dinner, Fairfield County has your kind of leisure options. Here are some of the things that await you:
So many museums, so little time! Even better, they’re diverse and not stuffy at all. Check out the list below:
- Bruce Museum of Arts & Sciences – Voted Best Museum by the area media, this museum was once a residence bequeathed to the county. It permanent collection is a fascinating intersection of art and the natural world.
- Housatonic Museum of Art in Bridgeport has a significant collection that includes the work of Rodin, Picasso, Matisse, Miro, Chagall, Klimt, and Warhol.
- Stamford Museum and Nature Center is a must-visit if actual outdoor exploration is your thing. It covers 80 acres of nature trails, with a real farm. It’s also got an observatory and a planetarium.
- Weir Farm National Historic Site in Wilton covers 60 acres of open and functional space that serves as a creative refuge for budding artists.
- Stepping Stones Museum for Children in Norwalk offers interactive and hands-on exhibits that are fun for adults as well.
Historical and natural attractions
- The Lockwood-Mathews Mansion in Norwalk is one of the most significant surviving Second Empire-style country houses in the country. It is also a National Historic Landmark.
- The Glass House in New Canaan is another historic site but with a more contemporary structure. It was built by Philip Johnson within a lovely landscaped area comprising 49 acres.
- The National Audubon Society‘s 285-acre sanctuary in Greenwich, features miles of trials, mounts children’s nature programs, and host conservation-themed events throughout the year.
- Stratford Point on Long Island Sound is a haven for birds and butterflies and is the site of the iconic lighthouse.
- The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk houses more than 1,000 marine animals. You can browse their interactive displays, or view an immersive movie experience at their very own IMAX Theater.
From handcrafted home accessories to the finest in designer apparel, Fairfield County offers shoppers plenty of choices for your leisurely shopping spree.
- For bargains and one-of-a-kind merchandise, nothing beats the clearance and summer sales of the vendors found in the village sidewalks of Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan and Westport.
- If you prefer malls and national brands, head to Stamford Town Center in Stamford, Danbury Fair in Danbury, and Westfield Mall in Trumbull, where you can find over 130 shops and restaurants that include anchor stores like JCPenney, Macy’s, and Sears, along with well-known brands and franchises like American Eagle Outfitters, Aeropostale, Banana Republic, Coach, The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Forever 21, GameStop, Gap, H&M, J.Crew, Loft, Michael Kors, Old Navy, Pottery Barn, Sephora, Starbucks, Uniqlo, and many more.
You can find almost every type of cuisine throughout Fairfield County, including:
- New American
Enjoy regional specialties like freshly caught lobsters, clams, oysters, and sea bass as you look over the harbor, or partake of an unforgettable feast paired with the perfect wines in a romantic bistro.
For more casual dining, hit the sandwich shops, cafes and patisseries. One thing is sure – you’ll never go hungry in Fairfield County!